 General / 27418
Re: Anyone Minifig Complete?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:17:05 GMT

"Jake McKee" <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> wrote:
Did I miss something?? When/how did the rumor start that TLC is doing away
with the minifig??

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Silly unfounded speculation on behalf of the release of the Creator fig.

Unfounded?  We have:

  -- the release of Creator, in at least two "themes" (basic/town, and Jack
Stone)
  -- the disappearance of System town
  -- the increasing stylization of the mini-fig over the last few years, which
pretty much cries out for a larger form-factor in order to be more effective
  -- the ongoing "action-figure-ization" of Technic
  -- add in a general disbelief (on my part) that both a large number of Creator
themes and a large number of System themes could co-exist

While it's certainly speculation (and I'm happy to repeat, this is PURE RUMOR),
it seems pretty well-founded to me.

All the more reason to keep the communication lines open, and for us on
the AFOL side to take a big chill pill.  I meant no harm by the minifig
comment, but now see that such an emotional outburst may have been
damaging.  I'm sorry.

As I said in an earlier posting, personally I don't think TLC will make a
comment either way, and even if they did I wouldn't expect them to hold to it if
marketing forces indicate otherwise (i.e. if Creator takes off).

I wouldn't worry about feeling responsible-- the marketing death of the mini-fig
was pretty much the first thing that popped into my head when I first saw the
Creator sets.  Seems obvious and somewhat inevitable, to me.

Kevin