 Dear LEGO / 2904
Re: Juniorization Lives, and comments on marketing strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Josh Baakko writes:
Long comments:

I saw two guys today, when I was at Wal*Mart, they looked at a few models
(from Revell) then looked at the legos.  They scanned the sets, then turned
back to the models an took one, and left.  They both seemed interested in
the legos, until they really looked at the quality of the sets.

I saw much the same thing at TRU: 3 teenagers (I almost fainted - I'm not sure
that I'd *ever* seen this) came into the aisle and were oohing and ahhing over
the SW sets, but after a few remarks about how expensive the Millenium Falcon
is, their attention was soon distracted to the MB's, and that is where they
stayed.  These guys were obviously interested in set quality, and having seen
little of quality that they didn't already have in SW, they went over to the
competition.  Well done, Lego.

The only sets that were sold out were one that were on sale, and there
probly were only a few in the first place.  There were tons of Life On Mars
sets, with new tags on the shelves, and none were gone!

I'm becoming concerned.  I went to a K-Mart the other day that had *no* Lego
whatsoever.  Their shelves had been plundered of a great many things, but
conspicously absent was the Lego.  By early February any chain will have
restocked from Christmas.  Have they just decided that Lego doesn't sell well?
This has been a queer post-holiday season.  Most stores have been terribly slow
to restock.  The lack of 2001 SW sets on the shelves of many stores is alarming.
There are always a handful, but the shelves rarely (at least where I've been)
are fully stocked and well-fronted.  The 2001 sets almost seem an
afterthought...like a line that's ending rather than beginning.

Set design has lessened, my dad has switched to puzzels cause they're more
challangeing.  I always liked building the frames of trucks, and biuldings
that went together peice by peice.

The Last point, are the ideas on the backs of the boxes!  When I was small
I looked at the set, then the back of the box.  I judged the quality of a
set by the look of the ideas on the back.  Some set I even built and kept in
the alternative modes.  Now when you look at the back, it shows how to use
the set!  I think most kids can figure that much out.  Now when I go to
Wal*mart i look at the parts in the set, and if I can use them in one of my
current building projects, and don't even care to build the model, and I
give the instructions to a neighbor.  I even noticed a young kid (around 7
years old) looking at the part, and telling his mom "I don't have that
peice."  Sad isn't it?

Yep.  Another intangible of the Lego experience that is gone.

  The Technic sets used to have great parts too, now the parts are
all strange, aimed for a "younger" audience, I thought Technic was originaly
designed for older people, thats why the sets were more interesting, with
the beams & plates!

As far as I'm concerned, true Technic is gone.

I personaly think Lego is going down the hole with this "juniorization"
thing, and should go back to its roots, even if they offer old sets ;-)!

Aye, another voice crying in the Wilderness.  Join the chorus, but we're singing
to an empty house.

Come on Lego get it straight!  My freinds little brother would rather
invest money in Mega Blocks, because "they're cooler."  He likes MB's sports
sets, because he has to build them!

Lego hasn't given kids reason to have brand loyalty.  "Back when I was a
youngster," I'd never have seriously considered switching brands.  I had Tente,
but it wasn't Lego, and that was all there was to it.  Nowadays, kids seem to
like MB just as much as Lego.  Sad.

james