 General / 27319
Re: Juniorization Lives, and comments on marketing strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 23:55:49 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Tim Courtney writes:
--
Within very short time, the LEGO brick has twice been named Toy of the
Century.  Fortune Business Magazine was the first in November 1999; then

[followups to lugnet.general]

Hey, there's that branding thing again!  TLC keeps saying it wants to be
the strongest brand among families with children by the year 2005, yada
yada yada yada yada, etc...

I'm really starting to worry that what that they're actually seeking to
strengthen is their brand equity.

I've been talking to a friend who believes just that.  Its sick, really.
What they're going to end up weakening is the association between their
brand and quality products.  And they'll end up saturating the market with
their brand identity (like Nike did for TV commercials and like Yahewww! is
doing for the web) - to make people sick of them (the general public that
is).  So they'll have brand recognition at the sacrifice of quality and
annoying the consumers.

Wouldn't it be nice if, instead of having the goal of being the strongest
brand among families with children, TLC's goal was simply to produce the
highest quality and best-loved, most played-with toys???

Yeah it would, but wait, that would make sense, so that's definitely out.
Umm, on the other hand, if their products were the most loved and played
with, they'd naturally sell a lot.  The company needs to get past the idea
of dumping tons of money into new spin off product lines
(Znap...failed...Bionicle...biggest ad campaign for a toy product and
expected sales of wha...$75M??) and back on to the tried and true brick and
extended system of integrated play.

"What do you want to build today?"

-Tim