 General / 24580
24579  |  24581
Subject:
How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:45:59 GMT

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

I'll get the ball rolling. Personally, I have always been a fan of Town. It
was 1994. My Dark Ages had begun 3 years earlier, when I was 15. My family
and I were on our way back from a short vacation in Toronto (I live in
Montreal, Canada). On the Quebec-Ontario border there is a place called
Cullen Gardens. The people who build an run the place have set up a large
diorama using 6" figures mage of clay. The diorama was set in very large
gardens that supply the "trees". It included a main street, houses, a lake,
trains going around and a lot more that I don't even remember.

I was immediately inspired. As soon as I got home that night, before I
unpacked my bags, I ran to the basement and started clearing space for a
Town layout. The next day, I climbed into the attic and found all my Lego.
It seemed like alot at the time (I have since increased the size of my
collection at least tenfold, but that is another story...;-) ). I started
building right away and the rest is history...

Anyone else want to speak up?

Kevin Z