 People / 1265
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 06:06:55 GMT

In lugnet.people, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.people, Kevin Zwicker writes:
I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

My dark ages started sometime around '88. I was 12, and as I recall, some of
my friends were telling me I was a little immature to have bunches of Lego
still lying around. Of course I always told them I never played with them,
being the brave soul I was; wait till they were gone, then build vast armies
of cool spaceships and castles.

However, I while I could hide it from my friends, I couldn't hide it from my
parents. They became increasingly worrisome with my fixation on childhood
toys when I was supposed to be getting into computer games, girls, music,
movies, and whatever else they thought I was supposed to like. Eventually
they cornered me on it: "You don't really WANT to still have those old Legos
in your room, do you? I mean, you don't PLAY with them anymore, RIGHT?" And,
again, being the brave soul I was: "Uh... no?" So the Lego promptly got put
up in the attic, and I took up computer programming in applesoft basic for
the next few years, satisfying my desire to build at least SOMETHING.

Then, in 1992, my first glimmer of re-emergence to the Lego world appeared.
I snuck into the attic, retrieved a box, and hid it in my room. I couldn't
put it ALL in my room, but I could hide one box, I figured. It worked for a
while. But the look on my mother's face when she opened a drawer in my room
and found little minifigs in a box was enough to tell me that she did NOT
think it was normal or welcome. Very important fact for later on.

<nod, nod>

I never had a true dark age, but I had a few years of "dim ages" in which I
only went up to the attic (the "lego" room) once in a few months... it went
off and on. I had more weird looks from my family than from my friends; my
older sisters were especially mean about it... well, maybe not mean, but
certainly teasing and poking fun at the fact that I "shouldn't play it
anymore, I'm too old, look at the age restriction on the box!"... now they
kinda got used to it, my oldest sis even thought my inn was pretty cool. I
think they went to my website twice or three times. What a feat, huh? ;-)

My younger sis, Inbal, OTOH, thinks it's totally cool - "I wish I could
build like that!"... but she never seems to want to join me. Which is fine
coz that means I could take over the sets my parents bought her a few years
ago. <evil grin>

My childhood friends would have varied reactions. There were three girls who
would sometimes join me up in the attic when they felt like it; one friend
loved the sorting aspect (and I loved dumping it on her ;-), another used to
build trains w/me, and the third girl helped me with a big town-project
(that never followed through, of course...)

Nowadays, about 20 people total in school know about my lego hobby; some say
it's cool, others think it's weird. But heck, I *know* I'm weird... I don't
need them to tell me. ;-)

-Shiri