 People / 1271
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:04:52 GMT

Kevin Zwicker wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

Maybe not so interesting but here it is.

My dark ages started around 1984-1985, the time I started high school.
Actually my interest continued through the years in some extend. (I
didn't give away Lego to nieces / cousins etc., although I give away any
other toys, I once used a space shuttle MOC(1) in a high school seminar
project, and I always have a helicopter MOC(2) or an aircraft MOC(3) on
my desk during university years)

Then in 1997 August, while I randomly surfing through net, I heard an
advertisement from the TV on my back. One of the newspapers here in
Turkey, about to start giving promotional Lego(3). Then I immediately
realized that although I have at least 2 years of internet access, I
never searched for Lego. Then I searched. Then I amazed. Then I asked
why not? Then I bought my first after-dark-age sets(4), then I built a
45,000+ pieces of collection from a ~2,000 pieces one..:-)
Selçuk

(1) It was a smaller version of this:
    http://soli.inav.net/~thomas/mglm/models/thumbs/99530.htm
(2) Slightly modified version of it is here:
(3) http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/promotional/sabah and
    http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6581
(4) http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6336 and
    http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6615