 People / 1262
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:05:05 GMT

Well, my dark ages began early 80s (81? not sure) The last set I bought was the
8860 car chassis.

It ended when I saw a Mindstorms. Just had to have it. My childhood Lego had
been left packed up at my step-dad's house, and luckily hadn't been removed. It
was in pretty poor condition (still is), but the later 70s sets were complete,
and surprisingly, not much of the older sets are missing, though a lot is
damaged (chewed by dogs / babies, broken, modified by me, just generally
faded...)

And I got straight back into the technix streak as if I'd never left - but I
like it large, so robo-riders aren't on the wanted list...

Regards,

ROSCO

In lugnet.people, Kevin Zwicker writes:
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

I'll get the ball rolling. Personally, I have always been a fan of Town. It
was 1994. My Dark Ages had begun 3 years earlier, when I was 15. My family
and I were on our way back from a short vacation in Toronto (I live in
Montreal, Canada). On the Quebec-Ontario border there is a place called
Cullen Gardens. The people who build an run the place have set up a large
diorama using 6" figures mage of clay. The diorama was set in very large
gardens that supply the "trees". It included a main street, houses, a lake,
trains going around and a lot more that I don't even remember.

I was immediately inspired. As soon as I got home that night, before I
unpacked my bags, I ran to the basement and started clearing space for a
Town layout. The next day, I climbed into the attic and found all my Lego.
It seemed like alot at the time (I have since increased the size of my
collection at least tenfold, but that is another story...;-) ). I started
building right away and the rest is history...

Anyone else want to speak up?

Kevin Z