 People / 1286
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:07:22 GMT

Kevin Zwicker wrote in message ...
I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

I had a really looong dark ages. I had Lego as a kid (about 1963 onwards) in
the UK and I pooled my collection with my sister's and my cousin's, so we
had quite a lot. My cousin spent school vacations at our house because her
mother worked so we spent weeks building and playing - mostly villages, with
an orphanage (for some reason we had an obsession with orphanages, my
sister's dollhouse was an orphanage too, filled with Trolls) and a police
station. Each of us had a "gang" of orphans who were always getting into
trouble with the police! Maybe I should add that we were very good,
law-abiding kids really :-)

I transitioned from Lego to model trains when I was about 11, and eventually
the Lego got put away. I immigrated to Canada in 1981, and when my daughter
was born in 1984 my aunt sorted all the Lego, divvied it up into 3 batches,
and sent it off to my sister, my cousin and myself. My daughter enjoyed
playing with it from time to time (and I almost always joined her - we built
some pretty nice big houses and such) and she got given some sets at
birthdays and Xmas, but she was never a major Lego Maniac.

For Xmas 1998, she gave me a "coupon" to play with her Lego. I'm not sure
what triggered her doing that - maybe I had been showing a lot of interest
in the spaceships she was building, or something, but anyway, I built a big
barn (adapted for SCA [Society for Creative Anachronism, http://www.sca.org]
events) and realised that we just didn't have enough bricks. So I went out
and spent my Xmas money on bricks and a big grey baseplate. From there, it
just grew, especially when I discovered I could buy sets, keep the bits I
needed, sell the rest and end up with free Lego! Now there's Lego in the
living room, Lego in my bedroom, Lego on the stairs, even Lego in the
bathroom if I'm cleaning printing off something! About the only place you
can guarantee there won't be Lego is Liz's bedroom: after the house got
submerged in it she declared her room a Lego-free zone. She does like having
lots of pieces to build with, though.

Kevin