 People / 1269
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:58:59 GMT

I came out of my dark ages because I bought a house that had an extra room I
wasn't using.

Previous to this, I had a small, 1 bedroom condo.  All my childhood LEGO was
packaged up at my parents house.  At Christmas, I would get out my
pre-dark-ages creations ( http://members.home.net/hmltn1/xmas.htm ) and
modify them occasionally, but the lack of space there made it painful to
build anything.  I interpreted my frustration as "being too old for LEGO."

Anyhow, I moved into a house that was about 3 times bigger than my condo and
after moving all my stuff in and buying a bunch of new stuff, I still had a
completely empty room.  I thought that I might as well bring over all my old
LEGO stuff from my parents and set up the most recent Christmas layout
permanently.  I figured that I probably wouldn't do much with it, but at
least it would be a good conversation piece and would take up some space in
that room.

So, I set up the layout.  I still felt "guilty" about doing much with it, so
I pretty much left it.  I felt like I "shouldn't " want to mess with it.
Around this same time, LEGO came out with the mindstorms set.  I thought
this might be fun and it was "adult" enough for me.  I asked for this as a
Christmas present, and got it!  I immediately started wiring up my layout to
be computer controlled.  Of course, this required various pieces, so I got
out my collection and started some building.

After building one small thing, I would realize that it was fun and would
start building something else.  I also noticed that I didn't have any
frustrations because I had the rest of the room to spread out the LEGO and
find things.  I started building more small buildings.  I realized that I
liked the "childish" town LEGO even better than mindstorms!  Finally, I grew
bold enough to actually go out and buy some new LEGO sets myself.  Then came
another, and another, and so on....  My layout grew and grew and became LEGO
city 1 ( http://members.home.net/hmltn1/city1.htm )

I just kept building since.  My complete LEGO history is here:
http://members.home.net/hmltn1/history.htm

So, for me it was a matter of getting more space, and using Mindstorms as an
excuse to get back into LEGO.

Brad
http://members.home.net/hmltn1/lego.htm