 People / 1255
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:15:02 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Zwicker writes:
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

My case is very particular; I have always loved Lego since I was very small.
The thing is that I live in Venezuela, and Lego doesnt have offices here, so
basically Lego sets are imported goods, and VERY expensive.  I am talking about
300% US price, so you can imagine the frustration.

Because of the difficulty of finding lego sets and the expensiveness of them,
Lego was basically not an option for me.  The thing is that I started working a
year ago, wich makes me manage some money of my own.  I made a couple trips to
the US and Canada, and inverted about 250$ in Lego (that was all I could raise
for that moment) and later I was able to make contact with a company from whom
I can buy Lego and they mail me the sets.  Its still a lot more expensive,
since mail from US to Venezuela is pretty expensive and ineffective (2 to 3
weeks of waiting), but with a lot of patience and work I have managed to own
almost all Star Wars sets (at least the mos important ones).

Besides that, I have no doubt: Star Wars took me out of my dark ages.

Alejandro Lujan.