 People / 1291
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:47:01 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Zwicker writes:
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

   Boy oh boy.  That's a big one.  My "dark age" really only got
   going when I was 18 (1989), and I realised that I had to get
   off to college and be "productive." I was working 80-hour weeks
   so it was easy to quit, but occasionally I'd still bought things
   between the start of my "dimming" (1986) and 1989.  The last
   thing I bought was a Blacktron I Invader and a couple minifig
   packs (thank God I didn't miss out entirely!).

   Zip ahead to late 1995--I visited home near Detroit, and was
   very bored.  It was around the holidays, and somehow I just wasn't
   enjoying fiddling with the computer or doing my work (heh), so I
   went down and got the big ol' table saw box full of Lego.  I
   opened the top flap and there was the BT-I box with my Invader
   inside.  I spent the next two days making mods of that model,
   especially added modules and improved connections.  But no, it
   didn't really "bite" again until I discovered the mass hysteria
   that (was) atl/rtl, in late 1996.  The rest is history.

   best

   LFB