 People / 1285
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:47:53 GMT

First of all, I love it when these threads get started.  Some of the stories
that surface about people "hiding" something they truly like, work on, and are
proud of is touching.  David Eaton's in particular was very nice.

LEGO was my main toy when I was a kid.  Since I have two younger brothers, I
could always expect that the big sorting bins were going to get more parts
occassionally, so the stock was always fresh.  This lasted until maybe 8th
grade or early high school, when I began to feel guilty about still "playing"
with something that was an obvious toy.  But I LOVED to rake, rake, build,
rake, rake, build, regardless.

The sets stopped coming around '89-'90.  I missed a whole lotta cool stuff.
The last thing I can remember any of us kids getting was the original space
shuttle with the red beam pieces.  That set had some juniorized parts (like a
1x2x5 column) that I remember being disappointed in.  But still, the building
went on through high school.  While I was never really ASHAMED of building with
LEGOs, I definately began to feel self conscious about it and stopped probably
about 11th grade.  When I came home from college during breaks I would always
find myself going up the to the room the LEGO was stored in and building
something.

The funny thing is, whenever I went up there, I would find large fleets of
spaceships (microfig size) all over the place, looking like a massive battle
just took place.  I found out my brothers were still occasionally playing, much
to my surprise and delight.  But we bought no sets from '90 on.  The huge
stockpile did us well.

LEGO faded away like a setting plastic sun for several years.  Then when I
moved to Washington, I was at a party on Capitol Hill.  Someone had a little
brown bi-plane (later I would find out this was part of the Adventurers line),
and over a bottle of Shiraz I took it apart and put it back together,
inncorrectly.

So, I had to go out and find the box and directions at a toy store, since I
messed up the model.  What did I find there instead of the little bi-plane?
STAR WARS!  I think I bought my first set in 10 years that night, the
Y-Wing/Tie Advanced.  Ahhhhhh. Now tubs of bricks fill my entire closet and the
set of a LEGO movie sits on my dining room table.  Robot LEGO guards patrol the
apartment (or used to) and you can never be sure if your bare foot is going to
step on a misplaced brick.

Dark Ages ... goodbye.