 People / 1287
Re: How did you come out of your Dark Ages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:13:26 GMT

Hi, er um, my name's Ronan, I'm 38 and I like lego.

Now that's out of the way...

I've joined up here in the last couple of weeks, thinking that this was the
end of my dark age.
But maybe I've been deluding myself really. I've been buying lego for the kids
for the last 6 odd years, been to legoland windsor twice, even bought the DK
ultimate lego book for..., well for me really.

What's happened is that I realise now that it's ok. Thanks to you guys.

My eldest kids, now 7 and 5 have amassed bucketloads of duplo and lego town
over the years.
I got mindstorms a year ago and mulled on and off whether it was for me ...
until I bought the technics forklift (8248) for my 5 year old's birthday at
the end of September (10 weeks ago)
We duly sat down and built the forklift and the other variant.

Something happened. Something was different. I could identify the small
components from my mindstorms efforts and this felt really good.
I came across the turbo command car (8428) and the sub (8299) going real
cheap(c $15). I bought these and then wondered how'd I'd get them
past my wife. I mean his birthday was past. I stashed them away and
introduced them one by one over a couple of weeks with a wave off my hand,
saying I got these for next to nothing, a great bargain.
So me and the kids sat down to it again.
We'd take turns (and row about!) sifting and sorting and building - page for
page. Having built the 8428 (beatiful piece) and then the sub (the three of us)
I brought down the other 8428 I'd bought and let Christopher get started.
So he inched his way along, and I commented and helped a bit with some
odds and ends. All the while he expected me to jump in and take over
(so did I) until he realised he'd got to the end.

So there we were, stunned. With nothing to do.
Nothing else seemed quite the thing.
Got the Droid kit - they seemed to dislike this even more than me.
So, I've bought a few bits (smaller lego sets) and been kindly given a few,
I even bought a few znap sets (for the motors) but these were built and
discarded. All the while he was thinking about what Santa might be asked
to bring him, and I likewise. We looked time and again at the catalogues for
1997/8/9/2000 - 'that's be great', 'I'd prefer that one', 'probably can't
get that anymore' etc. It welled up in me until I had no choice anymore.
I went out and spent a whole pile on the all the larger technics sets I
could find from 1997 on and made damn sure we wouldn't be disappointed at
Christmas and for a hell of a long time afterward.
Come Xmas, we'll have a tow truck, a super car (8880!), a 3 in 1 amphipower,
an Indy storm and monster crane truck. I'm leaving the shuttle till after
xmas :) And that still leaves about 15 significant models to be unveiled.
Oh, and they're both getting a master builder's set, lego racer's CD (we love
the demo).
My girl Alex (7) is getting the pharaoh's tomb, which was denied her on her
birthday for some reason.

Christmas is going to be one hell of a great building time.
My 10 month old girl Katie is getting Willie Whale from Santa, too.
And we'll have a pile of models to build when we're done in the new year.
Then I'll hit the shops (well, I won't ever leave them)

My wife is going to kill me, but I'm happy now.

Ronan

PS : Especial thanks to Kieran Brady for the 8880 last Sunday. What can I say?

In lugnet.people, Kevin Zwicker writes:
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about what
prompted your exit from your Dark Ages. Was there a specific set? Did you
visit someone with a layout? Did you immediatety go on a shopping spree?

I'll get the ball rolling. Personally, I have always been a fan of Town. It
was 1994. My Dark Ages had begun 3 years earlier, when I was 15. My family
and I were on our way back from a short vacation in Toronto (I live in
Montreal, Canada). On the Quebec-Ontario border there is a place called
Cullen Gardens. The people who build an run the place have set up a large
diorama using 6" figures mage of clay. The diorama was set in very large
gardens that supply the "trees". It included a main street, houses, a lake,
trains going around and a lot more that I don't even remember.

I was immediately inspired. As soon as I got home that night, before I
unpacked my bags, I ran to the basement and started clearing space for a
Town layout. The next day, I climbed into the attic and found all my Lego.
It seemed like alot at the time (I have since increased the size of my
collection at least tenfold, but that is another story...;-) ). I started
building right away and the rest is history...

Anyone else want to speak up?

Kevin Z