 Gaming / 1362
Re: LEGO gaming at Gen Con?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 02:38:51 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
8 hours of running. What is the scheduling like at GenCon? I've never
been.

Four, four-hour timeslots each day, but events can take any multiple of 1/2
slots.

Sounds easy.

A good idea, though the campaign version of the Pirate Game is suitable
for beginners to start in. Also, since it allows coming and going,
people need not commit to the entire session time. 4 hours would give a
good feel for the game.

It could be run as three (or four) successive time slots each as a seperate
event, and people woudl be free to register for mutiple adjacent ones or not.
It would be weird picking up in the middle, but it's doable.

Are you refering to people joining in the middle as "picking up" or
cleaning up the game in the middle because there's a gap in the
sessions.

Also, what sort of time is there for pick up games and such? I'd love
the opportunity to get a bunch of friends and rules hacks together for a
session of the RPG I've been running (a home brew system created by a
college friend). It has some neat features that would be cool to
introduce more people to.

Is that the standard deviation system?  I'd like a chance to play.

Yes. I suspected you at least might have an interest. I'm not sure it
should be a scheduled event, but I'm assuming there's opportunity for
pick up games.

8 hours would be a minimum, it's also about the most I can do without a
good break. Assistant GMs would help a lot, though if I was to actually
take a break for some time, we would have to have a good feel for how to
handle the "scenario" islands. I think it would be cool to continue the
game over two days.

I think that's doable.

Ok, let's shoot for two 8 hour slots, preferably slots 3 & 4 on the 1st
day and slots 1 & 2 on the 2nd day if we would be able to leave things
set up over night. If not, it might be best to continue in slots 2 & 3
or 4 & 4 of the next day (so that we can have the game re-setup by the
time people are ready). I'd like to have the slot beforehand reserved
for setup.

It sounds like our next step is to have you talk to the organizers and
find out what kind of space we can get.

Frank