 Gaming / 1350
Re: LEGO gaming at Gen Con?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:44:48 GMT

James Seibert wrote:

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
news:HALvto.7nz@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Seibert writes:
Hey Christopher,

Do you have any Gencon info on Lego events? Should we apply as judges
separately or as a group? I am driving to Indy so I should be able to • bring
whatever supplies and spare parts we need.

Nothing very juicy.  Without more serious interest, we're not going to get
special space.

I was hoping the move to Indy would open up more space.

I was encouraged by their directed of events to just register
our events and then play them.  Even so, at least that would get them in • the
catalog.  I wonder if it would be worth picking a good picture or two from • last
year and forwarding them with the application.  It also looks like running
sixteen hours is needed for free entry.

I can run 16 hours or more. A mixture of BrikWars and Pirate Wars would be
good. I can run Dread Stephen's Pirate Wars. I have no practical experience
running Evil Stevie's Pirate Game so I would be little use for that but
would do my best if called on. to assist.

Are you interested in seeing if we can
run a couple of eight hour games as co-GMs?  We could run the defending • forces
(or whatever) and help people with the rules while what, up to ten players • did
their thing?  More players with smaller units (maybe like a fifty-point • "squad"
that we build ahead of time for them) would make the game go faster and be
easier for inexperienced players while still providing experienced players • with
loads of opportunity.

You mean I cannot repeat my fiasco of insanity with 200 units and bogus
stats?

Maybe even thinking about the scenarios ahead of time would be good :)

Small squad combat might be possible in under four hours. I have a large
group that could playtest scenarios for me. They have helped me run Pirate
Wars and play a considerable amount of Napoleonic war games so they can be
my guinea pigs.

One of my Pirate Wars players, Stephanie, suggested that I run a
demo/introduction game for novices and children then run the next event(s)
for those players and experienced players. Then, if possible, run a few
games for the grizzled gaming veterans.

We need to ask Mike Rayhawk, Suzanne Rich, Kevin Loch and others for
permission to include their web site addresses on flyers we can distribute
at the convention.

The deadline for event submission to Gencon is March 7, 2003.

I talked with the convention co-ordinator for Archon when I attended
Egyptian Campaign this weekend and found out some interesting information.
Listing the pirate game as a Lego gaming event  at Gencon would put the
burden of providing judge passes on Lego Corp because Gencon LLC would
assume the corporation is sponsering the event and would expect to be
compensated as such. He also suggested we ask Gencon mgt. to try place the
Lego based games in one area. The games may be different like BrikWars and
the Pirate Game but we would all be in the same general vicinity.

Hmm, I guess we need to sell it as a "brick gaming track." Which we
would probably have to do for trademark reasons anyway. I doubt TLC will
"sponsor" the event, though we might be able to get some prizes out of
them.

Now we only need an experienced GM for Evil Stevie's and we'd be set...

It would never hurt to ask him. I am going to contact Stephen Gabriel to see
if he would run Pirate Wars and/or offer advice and contact info to hold an
event at Gencon. He currently does a lot of work for Virtual Seattle, the
Living Shadowrun arm of the RPGA..

I'm becoming sufficiently confident of my ability to make it to GenCon
that I'd be happy to commit to running Evil Stevie's Pirate Game. One
question I would have though is what the feeling would be about having
both Pirate Wars and the Pirate Game? Would that be confusing to people?
With both, I think it would definitely make sense to do the campaign
game for the Pirate Game.

My guess is that we wouldn't want the two to run concurrently, so I'd be
happy to help with Pirate Wars.

Frank