 Gaming / 1354
Re: LEGO gaming at Gen Con?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:01:21 GMT

James Seibert wrote:
I'm becoming sufficiently confident of my ability to make it to GenCon
that I'd be happy to commit to running Evil Stevie's Pirate Game. One
question I would have though is what the feeling would be about having
both Pirate Wars and the Pirate Game?

Evil Stevie's game would take much longer than the normal four hour time
slot for an event. Usually the grognards will play the strategy and
miniatures games requiring longer time frames. That is not a bad thing on
several counts since Evil Stevie's game is more campaign based than Pirate
Wars and longer game times usually attract mature serious players. and the
game would run smoother..

An into battle game could be run in 4 hours. That might be good the day
before the big campaign game. It would be cool to run the campaign game
over two days. The other option is to run it longer than 8 hours all at
once, but experience from BrickFest is that I get wiped out after about
8 hours of running. What is the scheduling like at GenCon? I've never
been.

Pirate Wars can be quicker, run in under four hours with 8 players. I have
GM'ed the game enough to adjust the game on the fly to match the maturity
and experience of the players. One suggestion is to list events as novice/
demo type games, then list games for experienced players we just instructed
and previous veterans.

A good idea, though the campaign version of the Pirate Game is suitable
for beginners to start in. Also, since it allows coming and going,
people need not commit to the entire session time. 4 hours would give a
good feel for the game.

Would that be confusing to people?

Maybe, I don't know. I do know this, whatever game we run, whenever we run
it, we will not be at a loss for players. Also, if we ask players to bring
their own boats and check for updates here we will have no shortage of
interest.  Frank, if you run a game, I would really like a chance to play
but how pressed for time will you be and do you have other games and
interests you want to look into while you are there? I have other games I
would like to play and hit the dealers room. I found Ninja Princesses in
there last year and yes I bought them all. Bwah ah ha ha ha ha......

As far as what else I want to do: I really get a lot more out of GMing
than playing, and there isn't all sorts of other LEGO activities to
distract me... I would certainly like some time to browse the dealers
room and check out other activities. Since I have never attended before,
I should probably leave a fair bit of time to check out other things.
Also, what sort of time is there for pick up games and such? I'd love
the opportunity to get a bunch of friends and rules hacks together for a
session of the RPG I've been running (a home brew system created by a
college friend). It has some neat features that would be cool to
introduce more people to.

With both, I think it would definitely make sense to do the campaign
game for the Pirate Game.

Eight hours per game? Longer? Alternate GM's in different slots?

8 hours would be a minimum, it's also about the most I can do without a
good break. Assistant GMs would help a lot, though if I was to actually
take a break for some time, we would have to have a good feel for how to
handle the "scenario" islands. I think it would be cool to continue the
game over two days.

My guess is that we wouldn't want the two to run concurrently, so I'd be
happy to help with Pirate Wars.

I would love to play the campaign game or at least assist in it to learn the
system firsthand, hopefully enough to give you a break..

Definitely I would want to structure things so the other LEGO GMs could
have an opportunity to play.

One idea along the lines of total 4 day track of Lego activities involves
managing the timeline for indidvidual events to run successively one after
the other. Hopefully, we would be able to keep all the events in one area,
put up banners, info table, clandestine refreshment containers, etc..

If we can have our own area, that would be way cool.

Other things we should consider:

LEGO Deadlands Frag (is Derek Schin available?) Here's another SJ tie
in...

If I can ever get my a** off the ground, I have some ideas for modular
dungeon sections that would be cool. I guess I could combine this with a
desire to run a session of my friends RPG... Or I could also get off my
a** and put together a LEGO RPG.

Frank