 Gaming / 1330
Re: LEGO gaming at Gen Con?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:52:17 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Brown writes:

There's strong odds that I'll be at Gen Con this year, and the prospect of
LEGO gaming just increases that to nearly guaranteed.

Cool!  Well, even if we're not doing a formal track, we'll get together and
make something happen.

I won't have a lot of stuff along with me as I'll be flying down, but I'll
bring some things.

I'd be up for whatever was happening, and could even do something with "Lego
Wars - the Simple Version"(1) if there was interest, though it seems most
folks round here prefer Brikwars.

It would be fun to set up two nearly identical battles on nearby tables and
play through them with the two sets of rules.

That's something I keep meaning to do, but never get around to. :)  We've
got a humongous-scale battle (~1100 attacking ~400 heavily fortified) coming
up here locally, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how LW:TSV handles
scaling up.

I'll be there at least partly for the Lego, but can't commit the full 4
days; I'm also dedicating a goodly chunk of time to assisting wth Ad
Astra(2) demos.

And presumably you'll want some unencumbered time, too.  I like the philosophy
of Ad Astra, but I've never played their stuff.  Is it actually fun?

Yup.  And I'm not just saying that because I'm a playtester. :)  It plays a
bit slow compared to some of the stuff out there, but certainly as quick or
quicker than the rules-heavy games (SFB, etc).  What keeps me coming back is
that it has a tactical depth that boggles my mind.  I've played quite a bit,
and 2 sides, 1 ship each still holds interest, and is by no means the same
game twice.

</obsessed playtester soapbox>

James