 Education / 221
220  |  222
Subject:
Mindstorms 3.0 Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:53:34 GMT

I’m giving a presentation about Mindstorms on Wednesday. I have a slide near the end that talks about all the stuff I know people want to see added. Here’s what I have so far:

RCX
  • RC communication (but keep the IR port, too)
  • more I/O ports
  • faster processor
  • more memory
  • bring back the AC adapter jack
  • DCC for use with LEGO Train sets
New / Improved Sensors
  • more sensitive / better light sensor (can see color, not just light intensity)
  • more sensitive rotation / angle sensor (especially at very low or very high speeds)
  • motion / distance / proximity sensor
  • pressure sensor
  • sound sensor
  • magnetic sensor
  • gyro or compass direction sensor
Mechanical Things
  • servo motor
  • solenoid
  • helical gear
What else do people want to see? Don’t worry too much about mechanical TECHNIC stuff, like different gear sizes or gear blocks. For example, I’d like to see some helical gears created, but that’s more of a mechanical issue than a Mindstorms issue. I don’t know what else people would want for robotics besides a servo motor and possibly a solenoid, anyway.

So, please tell me what else the RCX needs and what other sensors would be good to have. I’ll still take mechanical improvements, too. Thanks.