 Education / 222
221  |  223
Subject:
My Honours Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.edu, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 02:28:33 GMT

Last year I completed an Honours year in Applied Mathematics at the University of Melbourne. My project was on the segregation of granular materials in a rotating drum. If a horizontal cylinder is approximately half-filled with two granular materials and rotated at a constant rate, the materials may mix or they may segregate, either radially, where a core rich in one material is seen, or axially, where alternating bands that are rich in one or the other of the granular materials appear along the length of the drum.

Confused? Yeah, so was I (a little), so I decided to make a rotating apparatus out of LEGO to show the actual segregation.

First off, here’s a picture of the initial system (as close to well-mixed as I could get. The point being, that these particular granular materials (sugar and 100s & 1000s) cannot be mixed.)

The cylinder begins spinning:

A band rich in 100s & 1000s can be seen:

Eventually, more bands appear:

The long-term behavious is that some bands will thicken, whereas others will become thinner and/or disappear completely.

Finally, some pictures of the apparatus:

and the gearing required if using an old-style 9v motor:

If you’d like to construct a similar apparatus at home, my suggestion would be to remove the as it creates a fair bit of friction. Also, attach the prongs on the rotors to the lid of the cylinder (this particular cylinder was apparently custom-made). These problems became apparent after most of the above pictures were taken, when I was trying to get some video of the apparatus in action.

Yes, there is a video, but it is currently way too big to share on the internet. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the full Brickshelf folder can be found here.