 Color / 721
  Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

Teaser - (URL) - (URL) are unedited (except to remove some names from the yellow block at the bottom of the article) (secondary links to same scans Teaser - (URL) - (URL) (20 years ago, 8-Dec-04, to lugnet.color) !!

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Déjà Vu. (20 years ago, 8-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) An interesting look into the process. Now all that the "bley" haters have to do is provide an alternate source for 3.7 million kroner and bing-bang-boom! everybody is happy. (20 years ago, 8-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

I can't believe what i just read: "... we are investigating to see whether some of the parts we make at the moment could be produced in other, cheaper materials:... and whether the quality of some of our parts is simply too high.." Didn't Ole once (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color) !

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette

So we can expect to see them get rid of those pastey new flesh tones...right? (Please oh please oh please) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

In lugnet.color, William Howard wrote: (snipped) Thanks for sharing these and thanks especially for checking to see if it was OK first! Both are much appreciated. (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) The rubber band holders come to mind. Those are curiously over-designed. (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) I think this is _critical_, that we as AFOL make it be known that we'd rather pay more for a quality product than less for crap. If I wanted to buy crap, I could buy Megablocks instead. That being said, there are times and places where the (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Indeed. I have a bag of 41752's here. I keep looking at the tread surfaces on both sides and the Technic pin holes and thinking... 'now if they could put pin holes in a rubber-band holder, why couldn't they do the same for the big hailfire (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

Reducing the number of colours in the palette seems like a win-win. It means Lego can be cheaper, and it also means that AFOLs will find it easier to build a decent selection of parts in each colour. (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) Reading the LEGO Life article, I thought back to Jake McKee's (URL) original explanation> for the color change back in May. I noticed some discrepancies. Contrast this passage from the (URL): Reducing the number of used colours is part of the (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Unless you've been building in gray. My collection of 30 years was made obsolete overnight when they decided to discontinue making new parts in the pre 2004 shades of gray. Therefore, my continued support of their products ended when they (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) Wait-- how are these in contrast? Do you know that these came out of the same initiative? Do you know that something hasn't changed in the meantime? It's been over a year since the color change actually HAPPENED, and as far as I can tell, this (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

I certainly hope that when they refer to "some parts" being too high quality for their purpose that they will NEVER apply this principle to the brick. *gulp* I also think that the reduction in colors is a good idea so that the remaining colors can (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Amen! It seems like LEGO is trying to walk a tightrope, cutting costs, but still maintaining their image as the leader in quality. I don't think they're doing a very good job of it. IMO, LEGO is *currently* not being clobbered on price, but on (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) the color tiles can be read? Steve (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

I think this is a new initiative to further cut costs. Its funny one part of Lego decides it needs to control the pallette and amount of "usuable parts" in the system, while another part keeps on coming out with new colors and new parts (molds) for (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

In lugnet.color, David Eaton wrote: Snip (...) I couldn't agree more. With the new sets of 2004 and bulk tubs for the last two years, I have enjoyed the many new colors. But there are not enough in any quantity to build anything useful. Reducing the (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) That's a foolish motto for business. Quality is always a trade-off against cost. You set it as low as you can while still achieving your goals for revenue & market share. The motto is more reasonable as: "Good enough is the best." KDJ (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Unfortunately, that image is already (on my 17" monitor) about 50% bigger than the original. (The original is only 5x3 cm) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Ok, I got an idea...as AFOL's, we're passionate about LEGO. So, what kind of themes would be great to see? Those with kids, poll your youngsters and ask them what they like... I'll start with a theme I'd love to see come back... 1) Space (!) (...) (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) OK, I figured it was worth asking. :) Steve (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Agreed, I was rumaging through my box of orange yesterday, only to realize I had at least 3 differtn shades! What mad man came up with that, it's freaking orange. Mat (20 years ago, 9-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) (Hefts large clue-stick) The colour change was initiated in 2000 by the Design Group - as an exercise in improving how the colours play together. The palette reduction seems to have been initiated in 2004 by the "Sourcing for the Future" group (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) To add a little clarity to what you said above (should be 'Design Lab' rather than 'Design Group') it would be good to review what Jake wrote back in May of 2004. (URL) It starts around the 3rd para>. My read is that it may have been an (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) I don't have any insider information about TLC (perhaps you do?), so I can't say with any certainty whether these groups are composed of different people or not. But both projects (assuming they are seperate projects) are doing the same thing: (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) No, but I work from the assumption that people are honest until proven otherwise. And I read the articles carefully. (...) OK, here is the relevant text. You tell me if you think they are different teams. In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote: (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) My bad. (...) That's what I based my post on. (...) Depends how you define "it". TLG is a complex entity. It seems to change its products by evolution rather than revolution. Something like colour palette would affect multiple groups, and (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)

(...) Wait-- adding and changing colors? Where did you see that? That was part of the 2004 color change, sure, but where does it show up in this current initiative? (...) No. Back in 2000 TLC thought it was on the path to victory. In 2004 they're (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) It's already been applied to the brick. "The brick" has evolved over time both in material and in shape. Take a look underneath some bricks. If you've got a mix of older bricks and newer bricks, you'll see the differences straight away. As far (...) (20 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

106 colors before the reduction? 56 colors after? I'm baffled. Clearly, I haven't seen most of these colors. I can't see how it would be necessary to carry even 56 colors. The following is just my personal opinion, but why wouldn't the following (...) (20 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) I definatly concur. There are very few sets that can be labeled "Space" that I would not buy if they were reissued. Anything from a theme pre-dating Spyrius would be a "Must Buy" definatly. Anything from later themes (e.g. Explorians, Spyrius (...) (20 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) I can get pretty close to 56 colors, but honestly I've got a lot that I'd LIKE to see that I'm not sure currently exist. Assuming that "light" colors are pretty much pastels, this list gives about 12 pastels, 9 transparents, 3 bizzaros (...) (20 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  New Ideas for Lego Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Great ideas Jonathan! I received a complementary copy of a USA historic preservation magazine, and noticed it had a subsription of 675,000. That is a lot of potential folks who are interested in architecture. I think that TLG could create some (...) (20 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) More airplane sculptures like the Wright Flyer, Red Baron and Sopwith Camel. For example the Spirit Of St. Louis. A Zeppelin would be awesome, too. Sculptures of other historic vehicles are also welcome, like a model T Ford. Just a few ideas. (...) (20 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) [Great] list! I guess it will be pretty close to what they finally come up with. Maybe your '56th' colour is in the following list: 56.1 pastel teal 56.2 sand teal 56.3 lilac (that dark/purple pink used in Duplo and Belville or is this your (...) (20 years ago, 14-Dec-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Hmm, a Zeppelin would be nice, but: Either the hull would be a really big special piece like in that Adventurers set (which actually used the Zeppelin hull as packaging, IIRC), or it would eat tons of bricks. Neither solution raises the chance (...) (20 years ago, 14-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Perhaps it could come with a "plastic bag"-type thing, possibly with a few studs or towball-sockets on it, that's inflatable with pneumatics. That way, it doesn't have to be huge, nor eat a ton of bricks. OTOH, it does have to be fairly (...) (20 years ago, 14-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Ideas for Lego Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

Gary Istok wrote in message ... (...) done (kit and instructions available) (...) done (instructions available) (...) done (instructions available) (...) done a car ferry (kit and instructions available) (...) done (kit and instructions available) (...) (20 years ago, 14-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Something that I think many people don't realize when they suggest that Lego make WWII toys is that Denmark was an occupied country during WWII, and that Germany is one of thier biggest markets. WWII feels like ancient history to many of us (...) (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Well, having finished Brikington Manor a little over a month ago, I came to realize how great a modular-rooms series could be. Imagine a standardized interface - technic pegs around a doorway - similar in concept to the moobase. Now, make a (...) (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) My NLSO has mentioned a similar concept several times as something she would be interested in. Marc Nelson Jr. (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004

(...) Like (URL) these>? ;-) Tim (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)