 Castle / 5651
5650  |  5652
Subject:
Harry Potter (Film) Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:16:15 GMT

Not sure is this is old news, but I have just heard that Harry Potter The
Movie is to use Gloster Cathedral as the Main Set.

It looks like we may get a castle set?

Scott A

GC the site:
http://www.btinternet.com/~gloucester.cathedral/

GC at Pic:
http://www.antiqueprints.com/Images/C0681_L.JPG

Blurb:
Gloucester Cathedral
  The city's focal point is still the gorgeous Gothic
  cathedral, one of the earliest examples of the English
  Perpendicular style. Built as part of St Peter's
  Abbey, the cathedral's foundation stone was laid in
  1089. When the abbey was dissolved in 1541, the
  church became the centre of the new Gloucester
  diocese. The nave has some wonderful Norman
  arcading, with the last two bays at the western end
  rebuilt in Perpendicular style in 1420. Note how the
  south wall of the south aisle leans out of true because
  of the defensive ditch of the Roman town beneath.

  The magnificent 225-foot-high tower was
  constructed from 1450 to replace the 13th-century
  spire.

  The east window, made in 1349 to commemorate
  local participation in the Battle of Crecy, is the largest
  in England, while the wooden choir stalls date from
  1350. The late 15th-century Lady Chapel represents
  the final flowering of the Perpendicular style. The
  narrow 17th-century communion rails were designed
  to prevent dogs from entering the sanctuary.

  In the south ambulatory is the effigy of Robert,
  William the Conqueror's eldest son. King Edward
  II's magnificent tomb, surmounted by an alabaster
  effigy, is in the north ambulatory.

  The north transept, containing a 13th-century
  reliquary, leads into the treasury and also gives
  access to the tribune gallery with an exhibition on the
  cathedral's history. In the north aisle are memorials to
  John Stafford Smith, a Gloucester composer, who
  wrote the tune for the USA national anthem.

  The Great Cloister has the country's oldest fan
  vaulting, dating from the 14th century.

  The cathedral (tel 528095) is open daily from 8 am
  to 6 pm. Donations of £3 are requested.