 Castle / 6005
Re: Harry Potter (Film) Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:17:24 GMT

Steve Anderson wrote:

"Gary Istok" <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
Gloucester (pronounce "glou-ster" where the "glou" rhymes with a ships
"bow" )

Having lived in Gloucester for 15 years, and it being where my family have
lived for around 300 years, I assure you it's pronounced like Gloss-ter. The
Latin name is Glevum, in case any body cares!

Jumping into this late... The town of Glouchester MA is also pronounced
Gloss-ter. A teacher of mine had an amusing tale of the attempts of some
tourists to pronounce it. A man and his wife were arguing over the
pronounciation, with the man pronouncing it glou-chester (where glou
ryhmes with ow - an exclamation you might make on stepping on some
LEGO). I forget what the wife was arguing for, but I think it was wrong
also. They asked the teacher who said "gloss-ter" at which point the man
triumphantly said to his wife: "see, I told you it was glou-chester."!

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com