 Local / United States / Massachusetts / 184
Re: Harry Potter (Film) Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:58:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Tim Courtney writes:
"Shiri Dori" <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Gawd, these Mass-ACHU!!-setts (1) ....

(1) the only way I can remember the horrible spelling on *that* one...

Well, those of us from out of state refer to the drivers in Massachusetts as
something entirely different - but that one I can't mention on Lugnet ;-)

Well, the Massachusetts drivers are fine, it's the rest of you who don't know
how to drive :-) :-) :-)

Actually, the Massachusetts driving habits become less scary when you realize
that it isn't so much aggressive driving as decisive driving. If you start to
do something, and follow through, another Massachusetts driver will get out of
your way (one time, while driving a bunch of folks from college to an SF
convention in downtown Boston, in a friends van, I was stopped at a light,
when it turned green, I went. All of a sudden I heard a rather loud ***GASP***
from the passenger seat. I asked what was wrong, and the car owner who was in
the back seat calmly said "oh, nothing, you just cut off a cab" [the light in
question was one of those wonderful Massachusetts lights with fewer lanes on
the other side of the intersection]. I had managed to get the drop on the cab,
and he recognized it, and let me go. No problem, no dents. Now had I been a
non-Massachusetts driver, there probably would have been a collision as I
suddenly stopped and thus confused the cab [who was probably gunning it to
make sure he cut off the car behind me]).

Now down here in North Carolina, the locals are so worried about being polite
to each other that the highway comes to a stop if there is a lot of traffic
merging from an on ramp (as the highway traffic slows down to let the other
car in, who has been slowing down because there isn't roomm perfectly in synch
with each other). Or when a car does merge normally, do they get up to highway
speed before merging, no (there must be something I don't know about speed
limits, like the speed limit in an exit/on ramp lane is only 45 or something
stupid), they merge at 45 (or sometimes slower), and then start to think about
using their accelerator. Of course the whole pattern is totally screwed
because more than half the drivers are from elsewhere in the country, and thus
are following entirely different rules. They also apparently equip cars around
here with incredibly strong magnets in their front bumper (hopefully my new
Saturn will trick these folks!). Everyone I have ever talked to who has come
from somewhere else is amazed at how close people drive (even on a dark and
windy two lane country road, and no, they don't want to pass you, if you slow
down in a good passing zone, they won't pass, obviously they are lonely and
want company).

Frank