 Local / United States / Massachusetts / 196
Re: Gloucester MA (was: Re: Harry Potter (Film) Set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:15:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:
Jumping into this late... The town of Glouchester MA is also pronounced
Gloss-ter. A teacher of mine had an amusing tale of the attempts of some
tourists to pronounce it. A man and his wife were arguing over the
pronounciation, with the man pronouncing it glou-chester (where glou
ryhmes with ow - an exclamation you might make on stepping on some
LEGO). I forget what the wife was arguing for, but I think it was wrong
also. They asked the teacher who said "gloss-ter" at which point the man
triumphantly said to his wife: "see, I told you it was glou-chester."!

I have a friend from MN who visited there and calls it "glow-chester-shire"
("glow" rhyming with "plow").  :-)

I think I've also heard Gloucester called "glocks-tah" and "gluss-tah."

--Todd

So how would you pronounce 'Slough' (For our overseas friends, this is  a big
Industrial town near LLW)

Jon