 Castle / 5773
Re: Harry Potter (Film) Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:22:26 GMT

I know this is going on a bit and a little off topic, but my mum can confirm
that the opposition to Harry Potter being filmed in Gloucester Cathedral
consists of a middle-aged couple connected with the Elim Pentecostal church
in Gloucester (typical for a Pentecostal church, it's based in an old
cinema...) who are against the books and the film because sorcery is
forbidden in Deutronomy 18, v9-10 (apologies if that's wrong, I'm hardly an
expert) and they can't allow something forbidden by God to be filmed in a
Cathedral.

So far they are the only opposition, and they've written a stern letter to
the Dean of the Cathedral (who disagrees, and thinks the books are great),
Warner Bros and Bloomsbury...

Steve

"Lorbaat" wrote in message news:FzAKyG.6DA@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.castle, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.castle, Scott Arthur writes:
Not sure is this is old news, but I have just heard that Harry Potter • The
Movie is to use Gloster Cathedral as the Main Set.

Actually, the old news that I has heard (from www.aintitcool.com) was • that the
C of E turned down the request because they weren't happy with the idea • of one
of their cathedrals being turned into a wizard's school.

Never let it be said that I don't admit when I'm wrong:

Dark Horizons (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news.htm) reports today that
Gloucester Cathedral *will* be used.  Thinking back, it may well have been • that
Canterbury was up for it but turned down the production.  I'm relatively • sure
that the C of E were the ones who quashed it, but I suppose the article • could
have been inaccurate- or could have assumed that whatever officials turned • the
production down were speaking for all churches.

Anyway, this is great news from my perspective, as it means Lego might • well
introduce elements that will make Gothic structures easier- like maybe • gothic
arches.

Anyway, it should be kept in mind that both Dark Horizons and Ain't It • Cool
News are *rumour* sites, so until they are reporting that filming has • started,
I wouldn't necessarily bet any money on anything.

eric