 Castle / 1257
Re: Building a Mini-fig Army, how much to pay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:38:03 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Kummer writes:
After building massive Castles, I always feel the need to have a full battle.
My problem is that I only have 30 men with which to wage war. I am seeking a
cost effective way to acquire 100 plus men. I like the new castle men, as well
as the older ones. The ninjas abhor me.

I have to agree... I always had trouble having my 35 Crusaders vs my 28 Black
Falcons... that war just seemed so pitiful... (fortunately my armies have
expanded... but only about twofold)

I have looked on ebay and they sell lots of 10 for up to $35. That is more
than I care to pay. I don't think it is right to have to pay over three
dollars for one small soldier. Will Lego sell a set of people with the new
castle series? I have heard many hope, but has any insider confirmed it.

Yep! Old style castle 'figs like the Crusaders, Black Falcons, Black Knights,
Forestmen, etc., go for about $3.00 on ebay, I'd guess... (but there's always a
lot of noise on ebay anyway, so it varies) For newer genres, it's generally a
bit cheaper...

New minifig pack? I hope so! They've usually been pretty good about having a
minifig pack for the castle theme (although they stopped doing it for space
years ago)... Fright Knights and Ninjas both had minifig packs, so I'm willing
to bet that the new castle will have one... I'll guess: King (mounted), soldier
(plate mail, not chain), two bulls, each with horns. I WISH they brought back
the minifig packs with 6 figs, though... 4 is still pretty measly.

My questions are as follows.
(1)What should a typical lego maniac be willing to pay to raise an army?

I'd say that depends on what you're looking for... old stuff has cost about
$3.00 per fig for me so far, while newer stuff has cost about $1.00 to $2.00
per fig (when bought separately) so 100 Crusaders? I'd guess about $300...
somebody was selling 80 of 'em as a bunch a few months ago on Ebay... they went
for around $280 I think...  100 Fright Knights? Much cheaper... I bought 30 of
'em all at once for I think about $30... so about $100, I'd guess...

My thought, though, is that the new castle figs will be a bit more expensive...
at least until the Defense Archer comes out... just because they're somewhat
harder to come by... (unless you use the king's body for a soldier... that'd
bring costs down)

(4)In the 13th century Eurpeon wars, how many men made up a army?

I guess that depends... in HUGE wars maybe 10-30 thousand I think? I seem to
remember that Henry V defeated the French with 12K vs 40K soldiers? But that
was a lot later than the 1200's... But for smaller time wars (1 lord vs.
another) it'd be a LOT smaller... I'm pulling this number out of thin air, but
maybe 200 to 500?

For a "good" size army of 'figs, I'd guess that about 200 'figs lined up (about
10 rows back, 20 across) looks really good (or more if you can get 'em!)... I
think that's what I've set my long term goal at-- about 200 'figs per army...
I've set mine up that way, and I'd say it looks like enough to satisfy me...

DaveE