Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:39:28 GMT

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Fredrik Glvckner wrote:

Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> writes:

[...SNIP...]
Not exactly, see what I mean in the following example image:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw.png

I don't think any parts author would ever think about overlapping a
complete half disc: It would obviously be better to use a half disc in
the first place.

What John meant above was, if I understood him correctly, a disc with
a diameter larger than the quad's height.  That way, the problem is
non-trivial, and using a non-overlapping method would obviously need
more triangles and (much) more work from the parts author's side.

Maybe he meant something like:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw2.png
or
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw3.png

And as you can see, not more polygons, but actually less.

as a rule of tumb, "less points implies less polys".

NOTE: both examples could be even more simplified (less points) if we removed
the disc center point.

I don't think we should have any rules against overlapping polygons of
the same colour.  That would impose far too much work on the parts
authors.

Not a Rule, just a "guideline", authors are NOT obliged, but they are
encouraged to do it, because it's better.
And as you can see from my drawings it's NOT difficult to avoid. At least I
don't think so.

It would also set the LDraw language back with respect to
versatility, in my opinion.

By what I have said above, NO drawback, or lack of versatility.
When Authors/Users start to see the benefits they will strive for better parts,
with such a tiny extra effort.

See ya

Rui Martins