Re: [ldraw.org] Cover Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:10:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
What's the goal behind an image on the front page (and subsequent pages)
anyway?  To communicate visually to people that they can do a variety of
neat things with LDraw and related tools?

Variety yes, but you can hardly demonstrate a variety of things in one
model image.  Something displaying more than one model or multiple
elements would be too busy, IMO.

Hee hee.  Maybe, maybe not.  I agree that it would be an incredible
challenge, but I'll bet that it's not impossible.  :)  Have you seen
Escher's famous _Metamorphose_II_?  Here's a thumbnail of it, broken into
five parts because it's one long image:

   http://www.worldofescher.com/gallery/MetamorphoseIILg.html

That's quite-a-lotta-stuff going on there in that one image!

Anyway, I don't mean to detract you from important things, or to suggest
that something like that would be worth spending any time on -- just
pointing out a few things purely as food for thought.  If you ever really
wanted a single image that covered a huge variety of stuff, it probably
is possible -- just really, really hard.  :-)

Something is special about one completed model that looks good.  That is
the result LDraw users and future LDraw users will want, so why not show
them that?

Heck, I don't know what future LDraw users would want.  I know what *I'd*
want, but I'm not always sane.  :)

Jus' tossin' out ideas for ya.  :)

--Todd