Re: [ldraw.org] Cover Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:15:41 GMT

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 01:33:04 GMT, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:

If someone would like their well-done Povray rendered model displayed on the
ldraw.org main page, please let me know.  There will be a little paragraph
describing LDraw and I feel it is appropriate to include a small image of a
rather impressive model for people to see what it can do.  Please render the
image on a plain white background.

What's wrong with the model already being used?  And why a POV-Ray?  This
isn't pov-ray.org, it's ldraw.org.  To be completely pure, it should be an
image generated by LDraw.  But an LDLite-sourced image would be very nice,
as well.

Also, IMO, an "impressive model" would set the wrong tone for the site.  I
think a medium-size model with some nifty features will show better than a
super-huge model in a super-small zoom.  Again, the current model works
quite well.

Having an original, standard ldraw.org model has some nice continuity
benefits for the site.  For example, on all the 'related software' pages,
the screen shots could use the same model.  The only downside is that if
there is only one standard model, it will seem to bias us toward whatever
theme that model fits.

This could even progress into a feature model of the week/month if people
would like.  I'm sure its possible and it could get sites more publicity.  Is
anyone interested in this?

This would be very nice, but why not feature it as a separate feature? (er,
well, you know what I mean).

Steve