Re: [ldraw.org] Cover Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:30:48 GMT

At 12:15 PM 7/6/99 , Steve Bliss wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 01:33:04 GMT, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:

If someone would like their well-done Povray rendered model displayed on • the
ldraw.org main page, please let me know.  There will be a little paragraph
describing LDraw and I feel it is appropriate to include a small image of a
rather impressive model for people to see what it can do.  Please render • the
image on a plain white background.

What's wrong with the model already being used?  And why a POV-Ray?  This
isn't pov-ray.org, it's ldraw.org.  To be completely pure, it should be an
image generated by LDraw.  But an LDLite-sourced image would be very nice,
as well.

An interesting and valid point.  I was thinking povray since it has a much
more impressive look to it.  I suppose something from LDLite would work.

Also, IMO, an "impressive model" would set the wrong tone for the site.  I
think a medium-size model with some nifty features will show better than a
super-huge model in a super-small zoom.  Again, the current model works
quite well.

Well, I was meaning 'impressive' in the sense of a well done model that
doesn't have to be huge.  Sproat's Space Truck is an example of a small
impressive model.  I was going to go away from the current model since it
is one of my own and would rather display someone else's.  The model fits,
but I just slapped it up to make a cute splash screen.  I suppose we could
continue to use it, if people would like to and no one has any objections.

Having an original, standard ldraw.org model has some nice continuity
benefits for the site.  For example, on all the 'related software' pages,
the screen shots could use the same model.  The only downside is that if
there is only one standard model, it will seem to bias us toward whatever
theme that model fits.

Hmmm....that's a good idea.  I wouldn't worry too much about biasing us
towards the theme - if the model only appears on the main page and the
download pages with screenshots - it shouldn't be a problem.

But still, I think it would be nice to have variety and feature a new model
for the cover page periodically.

As for me, the red brick provides adequate continuity.  It is in the upper
left corner of each page, and the sidebar links have a javascript rollover
of a stud from the brick.  The brick appears in crafty little accent
graphics on the download and discussion pages - even animated on one of them.

This could even progress into a feature model of the week/month if people
would like.  I'm sure its possible and it could get sites more • publicity.  Is
anyone interested in this?

This would be very nice, but why not feature it as a separate feature? (er,
well, you know what I mean).

It very well could be.  Obviously it is easy and perfectly acceptable to
implement this however the group wants to.

BTW - I'm working on releasing the site very soon.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

If someone tells you you're worth your weight in gold, fatten up.