Re: [ldraw.org] Cover Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:05:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:
On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 01:33:04 GMT, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:
If someone would like their well-done Povray rendered model displayed
on the ldraw.org main page, please let me know.  There will be a little
paragraph describing LDraw and I feel it is appropriate to include a
small image of a rather impressive model for people to see what it can
do.  Please render the image on a plain white background.

What's wrong with the model already being used?  And why a POV-Ray?  This
isn't pov-ray.org, it's ldraw.org.  To be completely pure, it should be an
image generated by LDraw.  But an LDLite-sourced image would be very nice,
as well.

Heck, as long as it loads quickly and doesn't get in the way, I sure
wouldn't mind seeing a POV-rendered image on the www.ldraw.org homepage.
Sure, www.ldraw.org isn't www.povray.org, but over time POV-Ray is becoming
more and more a part of everything that LDraw touches.  If I was stopping by
for the first time, not knowing anything about LDraw, I'd probably be more
impressed by a fully ray-traced rendering than by a Phong-shaded orthographic
rendering.

But...hmmm...maybe both (plus something from the original LDRAW.EXE) would
be more effective than any one thing...?  For instance, I wonder what impact
a four-panel thingy something like this might have...?

   .---.---.
   | A | B |    A = screenshot of DAT source snippet
   |---+---|    B = screenshot of LDRAW output
   | D | C |    C = screenshot of LDLITE output
   `---'---'    D = screenshot of POV-Ray output

(with each panel being, say, 150x100 pixels or something small like that)

(Just a thought!)

Also, IMO, an "impressive model" would set the wrong tone for the site.
I think a medium-size model with some nifty features will show better
than a super-huge model in a super-small zoom.  Again, the current model
works quite well.

I wonder if the current model isn't a bit too space-oriented.  Most geeks
love space, I guess, but something as barbed (sharp/pointy) as what's
currently there -might- be a bit off-putting to certain types of people.

When I made the little screenshot for the .DAT group thingy a few months
ago, I looked for something that had an attractive-but-progressive look,
but not something too spacey or futuristic.  Jeremy's minifig-scale 4x4
turned out to be a good choice (with his permission, of course):

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/screenshot4.gif

because it's immediately recognizable to all as a jeep/truck.  I'm not sure
the same immediacy-of-recognition can be said for a spaceship.

Having an original, standard ldraw.org model has some nice continuity
benefits for the site.  For example, on all the 'related software' pages,
the screen shots could use the same model.  The only downside is that if
there is only one standard model, it will seem to bias us toward whatever
theme that model fits.

Maybe if it was a stack of 2x4 bricks, or a random (but actually carefully
chosen) collection of 10 or so elements, that would work?  Picture, say,
maybe a 2x4 brick, a 24-tooth Technic gear, a minifig, a 4x8 wing plate,
a 1x1 cylinder brick, etc...

What's the goal behind an image on the front page (and subsequent pages)
anyway?  To communicate visually to people that they can do a variety of
neat things with LDraw and related tools?

--Todd