 CAD / Development / 7605
Re: MPD spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:36:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:

Have you considered that that means that MPD files will no
longer be able to be rendered by LDraw?

No, I hadn't.  I was taking the view that MPD files are not compatible with
LDraw, and I was not too concerned with making them 'more compatible'.

See my other recent message for a suggested way to standardize both
"LDraw-ready" and "never ready" MPDs.

Or, if we keep this approach for MPD, I'll want another
standard language extension for embedding "macros" in
LDraw files. I tend to view (and use) FILEs in MPD files
as "subroutines", and I'd prefer they were designed to
work that way.

Yes, but it is a single-level subroutine system like in C.
(I complain about it in C, but that is because I am not the
one, who writes the C compilers)

True.  Actually, with the 0 NOFILE statement, the MPD syntax could support
nested 'macros'.  But 0 NOFILE statements would be required to mark the end
of every macro/file.

Also, as Tore pointed out already, some programs support
names on FILE lines that are totally invalid as physical
file names.  Although I can see many reasons *not* to
use this capability, I can also see reasons *to* use it.

Even though it makes MPD files impossible to render with
LDraw? (because their content can not be written as actual
files)

A number of people are more concerned with increasing the usefulness of the
file format, than keeping strict compatibility.  IMO, it is very useful to
be able to, for example, code part files in the MPD format.

Steve