 Administrative / General / 9904
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 04:17:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:

there. (overuse of .announce groups is one of my many pet peeves.. :-) )

Hello Larry,

As someone who thinks the .announce groups are in good shape, I'm sincerely
curious why you believe them to be overused.

Here's the charter of .announce

lugnet.announce– General-interest announcements to the community (breaking
news about products, releases, contests, events, and sites, etc.); also,
important LUGNET information (new features, services, scheduled downtime,
etc.); NOTE: the following are not appropriate: auction announcements,
commercial advertisements, new-user introductions, questions, and test-postings

And in all seriousness, I want to assure you that I read this charter before
making both of my recent posts.  Despite the current state of LUGNET, I have
no desire to attempt to skirt charters just for the sake of promoting a website.

While it *does* say "sites"... a good 1/2 or more of the posts to
lugnet.announce are announcing new *models*. Models are great but I just
don't see the fact that someone completed a MOC as fitting the charter of
.announce

Now this point I can see.  It seems that you're not as much concerned by the
quantity of posts to .announce, as you are about the quality and/or type of
posts.  Fair enough.

Nor, arguably, does info about sales, or info about defective products, or
info about routine club meetings, or notices that a person is visiting a
place, or questions about the relative frequency of older parts in auction
lots or on and on and on...

Again, speaking to the type of posts.

Major club shows, starts and ends of contests, yes.... but my count suggests
to me that fully 80% or more of what is posted in announce doesn't belong
there. Go look for yourself, just skim the (approximately) last 100 posts to
see:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=*1702,-100&v=b

Some of those posts are to subgroups of announce like announce.brickshelf or
announce.lsahs, and after you factor those out you are left with a LOT of chaff.

So I guess the real question becomes how tightly the charter of this
particular group was meant to be interpreted.  Does an announcement have to
come from a senior member of a group or club?  Or from a non-commercial, but
otherwise important website or company?  Or, perhaps only from the person or
persons organizing a contest, with follow-ups set elsewhere.

I suppose my only counter to this would be that for a great many of us the
appropriate newsgroup to which to make a posting has *always* been a
mystery.... even after reading the related charters.  As mentioned, I read
and reread the .announce charter and felt that both of my postings were
appropriate.  You took another opinion with regard to at least one.  So
who's right?  I honestly don't know.

In the good old days Todd or Suz or some other oldtimer would gently steer
these chaff posters aright. But LUGNET is on autopilot now so that doesn't
happen any more. Charters get flaunted all the time with nary an eyebrow raised.

Perhaps this is the answer to my question above.  Maybe my second posting
would have been redirected if someone had been watching.

Maybe not everyone else agrees (maybe no one does) which is why I called it
a pet peeve of mine.

I know I don't agree, but then isn't it great that we're all different?
Otherwise we'd all only need one LEGO set and we'd all have very little to
ever talk about.  ;)

In fact, if you take a look at the web interface of the newsgroups you'll
notice that by volume, the .announce groups don't even rank in the Top 20
most posted to groups on LUGNET:

http://news.lugnet.com/

It should be in the *bottom* 20, not anywhere close to the top 20... It
should be reserved for major, significant happenings, not the fact that
someone completed a MOC of something. That's what "breaking news" means to
me. NEWS.

Then I suspect you rarely watch CNN Headline news.  It's wonderful to watch
it for 8 or 10 hours straight and watch the same news break again and again
every 15 minutes.  :)

But you're right Larry... what is 'breaking news' and how does it apply to
this particular newsgroup?

(Who has posted to .announce recently,

Your first post qualified, barely, if one grants that your site is more
newsworthy than a run of the mill personal site. Your second one saying you
got two more letters and some other updates was clearly well outside the
envelope of "newsworthy". IMHO.

My comment to your last point would be this.

In the 7 days or so since I made these two posts (oldest being 7 days ago)
I've received about 1300 hits to my site.  99% of these originated from one
of the two postings to LUGNET.  Of all those hits, I've received only one
email commenting that I should not have made the second announcement in the
.announce group.  Do I take it from the lack of dozens of negative emails
that most people *apparently* don't mind my posting to the .announce group?
Or do I address and react to the one lone voice of dissent?

I did follow-up that complaint with a prompt email in an attempt to open a
dialog on the topic.  Unfortunately 3 days later I still haven't heard back
from that person.  Do I assume my arguements were so stunning that I've made
a convert? :)

but is setting follow-up on this
message to .debate, since it has nothing to do with either
market.buy-sell-trade or .announce.)  :)

I've in turn set FUT to admin.general since this is a newsgroup charter
question, not a debate about things not related to LEGO.

admin.general or admin.terms is the appropriate place for this question as
the admins should, appropriately, comment on what the correct use of
.announce is.

Which ultimately highlights my point about some of us not knowing where the
heck to post anything.  It was noted today that the 2001 posting totals are
down over the previous year.  Here I am 3 years into LUGNET, still
apparently making mistakes about which group to post to.  How is a new
person ever supposed to figure out the compartmentalization around here?  It
must be daunting.  I'm sure that some shy but wonderful people refrain from
posting for the simple fact that they are afraid to make a mistake.

And for my final trick......

I won't redirect this follow-up, but I will disagree with you again Larry.
I really just wanted to hear and debate your opinions on the topic.  I
didn't want to raise this as an admin issue on LUGNET because I really
didn't want to raise it as an admin issue on LUGNET.  The .debate group was
actually the appropriate place to send the thread, but I won't correct you.
I'd hate to scare you into not posting anymore.  ;)

Best regards and all comments meant in the spirit of friendly debate,
Allan B.