 Administrative / General / 9903
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 02:53:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:

there. (overuse of .announce groups is one of my many pet peeves.. :-) )

Hello Larry,

As someone who thinks the .announce groups are in good shape, I'm sincerely
curious why you believe them to be overused.

Here's the charter of .announce

lugnet.announce– General-interest announcements to the community (breaking
news about products, releases, contests, events, and sites, etc.); also,
important LUGNET information (new features, services, scheduled downtime,
etc.); NOTE: the following are not appropriate: auction announcements,
commercial advertisements, new-user introductions, questions, and test-postings

While it *does* say "sites"... a good 1/2 or more of the posts to
lugnet.announce are announcing new *models*. Models are great but I just
don't see the fact that someone completed a MOC as fitting the charter of
.announce

Nor, arguably, does info about sales, or info about defective products, or
info about routine club meetings, or notices that a person is visiting a
place, or questions about the relative frequency of older parts in auction
lots or on and on and on...

Major club shows, starts and ends of contests, yes.... but my count suggests
to me that fully 80% or more of what is posted in announce doesn't belong
there. Go look for yourself, just skim the (approximately) last 100 posts to
see:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=*1702,-100&v=b

Some of those posts are to subgroups of announce like announce.brickshelf or
announce.lsahs, and after you factor those out you are left with a LOT of chaff.

In the good old days Todd or Suz or some other oldtimer would gently steer
these chaff posters aright. But LUGNET is on autopilot now so that doesn't
happen any more. Charters get flaunted all the time with nary an eyebrow raised.

People watch .announce for breaking news. Not to denigrate MOCs or new
personal sites, but that doesn't fit my definition of breaking news.

Maybe not everyone else agrees (maybe no one does) which is why I called it
a pet peeve of mine.

In fact, if you take a look at the web interface of the newsgroups you'll
notice that by volume, the .announce groups don't even rank in the Top 20
most posted to groups on LUGNET:

http://news.lugnet.com/

It should be in the *bottom* 20, not anywhere close to the top 20... It
should be reserved for major, significant happenings, not the fact that
someone completed a MOC of something. That's what "breaking news" means to
me. NEWS.

While it can *perhaps* be argued that some misplaced postings find their way
to the .announce groups, I think it can also be suggested that this isn't by
any means an epidemic.

80% chaff is an epidemic to me. Maybe not to you, though.

(Who has posted to .announce recently,

Your first post qualified, barely, if one grants that your site is more
newsworthy than a run of the mill personal site. Your second one saying you
got two more letters and some other updates was clearly well outside the
envelope of "newsworthy". IMHO.

but is setting follow-up on this
message to .debate, since it has nothing to do with either
market.buy-sell-trade or .announce.)  :)

I've in turn set FUT to admin.general since this is a newsgroup charter
question, not a debate about things not related to LEGO.

admin.general or admin.terms is the appropriate place for this question as
the admins should, appropriately, comment on what the correct use of
.announce is.

++Lar