 Administrative / General / 9939
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:32:35 GMT

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
news:GpErx5.HCE@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Salm writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
I don't know what the ratios are as to who uses the web vs. nntp
interfaces, but for people using nntp there is no easy way to access
the charter of a newsgroup.

Is it true that there's no easy way? When I was viewing lugnet via • NNTP I
had my newsreader set to never discard posts (that was a long time • ago, it
took a lot less space than it would now) so I could go look at post #1 • in a
group without too much trouble at all.

Is it always in message #1?  What if the charter has been revised at
some point later on?  It's easy in my newsreader (emacs+gnus) to jump
to message #1, or any message in the group I'm reading if I know its
number, but I didn't think that was necessarily guaranteed to do the
trick.  But this is highly newsreader-dependent.

Because of revisions, the most current charter is not always post #1 but • with a
news reader you should be able to sort by topic.  Locate message #1 and • then
sort to see if others show up with the same topic heading.

With a news reader this is even easier than with HHTP.

If this is a problem, and I'm not sure it is, I'm sure Todd could have the
server automatically re-post the charter every X days or N posts.

A quick look at .announce shows that the group consistently receives
highlighted posts:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=,-100&v=c

I have also just noticed that 8/10 of the "top stories" are from .announce.

Scott A

Based on this, it looks like members have little real problem with its
operation. Sure some people may not like all the posts in the group, but • it
looks like others may. Nobody is forced to read anything here.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Scott A

(BTW : Nice site Allan)
(BTW2 : CNN is not news, it is entertainment)

___