 Administrative / General / 9928
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 04:19:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Allan Bedford writes:
Which ultimately highlights my point about some of us not knowing where the
heck to post anything.  It was noted today that the 2001 posting totals are
down over the previous year.  Here I am 3 years into LUGNET, still
apparently making mistakes about which group to post to.  How is a new
person ever supposed to figure out the compartmentalization around here?

Read the group headers, they do give guidance. Ask (in admin.general) if
unclear. People do want to help. But you have to WANT to be helped, not want
to argue about it.

I don't know what the ratios are as to who uses the web vs. nntp
interfaces, but for people using nntp there is no easy way to access
the charter of a newsgroup.

Is it true that there's no easy way? When I was viewing lugnet via NNTP I
had my newsreader set to never discard posts (that was a long time ago, it
took a lot less space than it would now) so I could go look at post #1 in a
group without too much trouble at all.

Even if you use NNTP to read most posts you can still use the web interface
to see the charter of a group as long as you have web access, the URL
pattern is consistent. For example here is a URL to the charter of THIS
group: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1

(the pattern is, I believe, always the group name with lugnet removed from
the front and separated by slashes instead of dots... the "?n=mmm" part
selects the post number mmm and post number 1 is always the charter)

Now, the above is *consistent* but it isn't necessarily easy to remember, or
easy to discover, for a newbie... So ya, maybe there's no handy way to
review charters. What do you suggest could alleviate that?

If we want people to abide by charters and use them to select the correct
group to post in, it ought to be easy to examine several charters, yes?