 Administrative / General / 9929
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 04:40:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Allan Bedford writes:

In the 7 days or so since I made these two posts (oldest being 7 days ago)
I've received about 1300 hits to my site.  99% of these originated from one
of the two postings to LUGNET.  Of all those hits, I've received only one
email commenting that I should not have made the second announcement in the
.announce group.  Do I take it from the lack of dozens of negative emails
that most people *apparently* don't mind my posting to the .announce group?
Or do I address and react to the one lone voice of dissent?

I did follow-up that complaint with a prompt email in an attempt to open a
dialog on the topic.  Unfortunately 3 days later I still haven't heard back
from that person.  Do I assume my arguements were so stunning that I've made
a convert? :)

Maybe your mail is being bounced silently on the way in or out? I sent you a
complaint via email when you posted the second time but got no reply,
leading me to believe you never saw it or your reply never made it back to me.

My apologies for making any assumptions.  I wondered if the mail had perhaps
bounced at the other end without generating an error at my end.

Which ultimately highlights my point about some of us not knowing where the
heck to post anything.  It was noted today that the 2001 posting totals are
down over the previous year.  Here I am 3 years into LUGNET, still
apparently making mistakes about which group to post to.  How is a new
person ever supposed to figure out the compartmentalization around here?

Read the group headers, they do give guidance. Ask (in admin.general) if
unclear. People do want to help. But you have to WANT to be helped, not want
to argue about it.

As mentioned (twice or three times now) I did, most certainly, read the
charter for that group.

You asked how one is supposed to determine things. I answered. No critcism
of your first post to .announce was intended, I've said (twice or three
times now) that it fits the charter as it's written. I think the charter
needs changing but until it does, no criticism. As to your second one, well,
if the charter is unclear, how can it be your fault? If you continued to
post about it after the charter was clarified that would be something else
but no one is suggesting that you would.

I honestly and sincerely did not see any issue with
my postings; either the first or the second one.  I do not wish to argue the
point any further, but was simply trying to engage you (Larry) in a debate
about why you felt the .announce group was being overused/misused/abused.  I
apologize if my intentions were unclear.

If we go back to the start of the thread you asked me why I felt the
announce groups were overused (I said it was a pet peeve of mine). I wasn't,
when I answered, thinking that you wanted a *debate* about it... I didn't
then and don't now. I was just trying to answer your question. YOU seem to
want to debate it. Not me. I just don't see it as debatable or, even if it
is, as appropriate for any group other than one that has admin in it (maybe
admin.terms instead of admin.general but naaa...) as it is an admin question
to ask what the charter of a group means.

But you even want to debate that (weakly, you present no arguments, just
assert. I on the other hand reviewed the charters of admin.general and of
offtopic.debate. NOTHING in the charter of offtopic.debate remotely fits an
admin question about LUGNET itself, I don't think.), apparently.

But that aside. let's face facts. The lugnet.announce group IS over used and
every other poster to this thread (I think, with the possible exception of
one) agrees that most of what gets posted to lugnet.announce is off charter
and doesn't belong there.

You can disagree if you like but I don't want to debate that point. Really,
I don't. It is established to my satisfaction and I think most other
peoples, (except the MOC posters who, while we're talking about it, continue
to post away... but we haven't yet decided how to gracefully deliver a cease
and desist, so how can we expect any different) and I'm more interested in
constructively discussing what's to be done about it rather than disputing
if it's true or not.

If this little incident is enough to make you stop posting, I have to
question the strength of your convictions. If you sincerely believe you have
an important message, the fact that most everyone disagrees with you about
posts to lugnet.announce being too common seems inconsequential compared to
that message of deliverance for the Lego Company. Focus on that crusade
would be my advice.