 Administrative / General / 9931
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 04:51:32 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
I don't know what the ratios are as to who uses the web vs. nntp
interfaces, but for people using nntp there is no easy way to access
the charter of a newsgroup.

Is it true that there's no easy way? When I was viewing lugnet via NNTP I
had my newsreader set to never discard posts (that was a long time ago, it
took a lot less space than it would now) so I could go look at post #1 in a
group without too much trouble at all.

Is it always in message #1?  What if the charter has been revised at
some point later on?  It's easy in my newsreader (emacs+gnus) to jump
to message #1, or any message in the group I'm reading if I know its
number, but I didn't think that was necessarily guaranteed to do the
trick.  But this is highly newsreader-dependent.

[...]
Now, the above is *consistent* but it isn't necessarily easy to remember, or
easy to discover, for a newbie... So ya, maybe there's no handy way to
review charters. What do you suggest could alleviate that?

I can't think of anything - the NNTP interface doesn't really allow
for it.

One possibility might be to have the e-mail confirmation include the
URL of the charter, and instructions that you should review the
charter before confirming your post?

If we want people to abide by charters and use them to select the correct
group to post in, it ought to be easy to examine several charters, yes?

I agree.

--Bill.