 Administrative / General / 9936
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:47:05 GMT

William R Ward wrote:

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
I don't know what the ratios are as to who uses the web vs. nntp
interfaces, but for people using nntp there is no easy way to access
the charter of a newsgroup.

Is it true that there's no easy way? When I was viewing lugnet via NNTP I
had my newsreader set to never discard posts (that was a long time ago, it
took a lot less space than it would now) so I could go look at post #1 in a
group without too much trouble at all.

Is it always in message #1?  What if the charter has been revised at
some point later on?  It's easy in my newsreader (emacs+gnus) to jump
to message #1, or any message in the group I'm reading if I know its
number, but I didn't think that was necessarily guaranteed to do the
trick.  But this is highly newsreader-dependent.

Charters are always post #1. One thing to remember is that while Lugnet
appears to be an NNTP server with an e-mail interface and a very nifty
web interface, it's really a huge data base, with NNTP, e-mail, and web
interfaces. Requesting post #1 in a group using either NNTP or HTTP
always finds the charter for that group. Requesting post #2 in a group
always finds the TOS (and I'm sure it points to a single copy of the
TOS).

[...]
Now, the above is *consistent* but it isn't necessarily easy to remember, or
easy to discover, for a newbie... So ya, maybe there's no handy way to
review charters. What do you suggest could alleviate that?

I can't think of anything - the NNTP interface doesn't really allow
for it.

NNTP most definitely allows for it. Not all news readers make it easy
though.

Note that you can also get news from Lugnet by telnet, here's a telnet
session with Lugnet's NNTP server:

telnet lugnet.com 119

200 lugnet.com NNTP[auth] server version 1.5.12.2 (9 Jan 1996) ready at
Fri Jan
4 08:44:47 2002 (posting ok).
group lugnet.admin.general
211 9835 1 9934 lugnet.admin.general