 Administrative / General / 4856
4855  |  4857
Subject:
LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 05:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
One URL:  http://www.lugnet.com/  and per-user preferences on how to • display
that page -- kinda like a "My LUGNET" kind of thing.
Like with channels and RSS and stuff?  (please say yes please say yes)
Any chance that the Spotlight will be exposed in RSS format?

Another data item which would lend itself well to this is the links sidebar
for each newsgroup page.  In fact, just about any possible piece of data on
LUGNET can be served into a channel -- member pages, thread info, even search
results.

For example, I could point a channel client like My Netscape to
http://www.lugnet.com/build/mecha/?f=rss&q=sproat or some such, and new
messages mentioning my godlike mecha skills (:-P) would show up as they are
posted (actually whenever the M.N. server hits LUGNET again, about every six
hours I think).  Or I could track new messages in the Longest Thread on LUGNET
with http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?f=rss&n=1177&t=f&v=b (or some
such).  All the necessary functionality is already there; just an upgrade to
the grammar is all that would be needed.

However, seeing that LUGNET caches its CGI output, serving many different
formats per page can start to add up.  Would this pose a disk space problem?

Cheers,
- jsproat