 Administrative / General / 4802
Re: RSS output format (was: Re: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 18:04:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

<major, indiscriminate snippage re: RSS channels and putting people in charge
of what they want to see>

Cool.  Some of the technogeekness escaped me, but the gist of it is very cool.

As I understand it, this will allow me to:

Make my own "spotlight" page, of things I think are cool.  If I understand the
polystructural nature of Lugnet (grin) properly, this could be a link from (or
on!) my member page.

Make a hierarchy of groups that only I can see, allowing the web interface,
for all intents and purposes, to duplicate newsreader functionality, up to and
incuding cool stuff like "ignore thread".  (not necessariliy a one-click
process, but still quite do-able)

Grab a collection of informative posts that only I can see, for referencing
when the issues come up again.  For example, I could grab Larry's 'Libertarian
101', Todd's 'What the heck is an auction anyway', several people's 'my
position in a nutshell' and dozens of other well-written
informative/definitive posts that vanish under the pressure of several hundred
posts a day.

Make a list of all CLSotW entries that are castle-related.

Grab several peoples lists of cool stuff (assuming they've made those lists
public), and add them to my own.

Make a list of "historic" posts, including things like the first post, the
announcement of the theme groups, Brad's announcement of LEGO Direct, and so
forth.

Have all of these things as public or as private as I want them to be (and
possibly the grey areas in between?), and be able to change the status of
their publicity.

Have much of this stuff, beyond the initial setup, be automated, and behind
the scenes, and never have to deal with it unless I want to.

Wow.  Check out that hoopy Todd Lehman.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/