 Administrative / General / 4697
4696  |  4698
Subject:
Lugnet for beginners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 06:18:18 GMT

Todd, Suz, et al

Lugnet can be rather intimidating, IMO, to newcomers due to its massive size
and scope.  The Pause database aside, the news portion of Lugnet is growing
every day by 400 messages or so and can leave new arrivals here with a sense of
being at a loss as to how and where to begin.

From the web interface, the huge number of groups probably seems never-ending.
From the NNTP news interface, a new user might simply feel buried by the
thousands of messages available to be read.  If a new user signs up for SMTP
mail subscription, I would bet they would be overwhelmed by the volume of
messages filling their mailboxes.
Let's remember that any installation of Lugnet groups by a news reader
downloads each and every post since the second beta test began.

Where does one begin??  Casual lurkers might even be driven away by the
vastness of Lugnet; especially those of a young age.

PROPOSAL
========
I would like to propose the creation of some sort of welcome introductory to
Lugnet.  I do not have firm ideas as to what it might entail or include, but
have given some thought to the endeavor for some time now.

Further, I am willing (and I believe quite competent) to make some preliminary
efforts at creating a Lugnet Welcome Zone, as it might be called.  The first
step would be to gather ideas from other lugnuts about what to include in terms
of information and assistance to new users.  The second step might be to decide
where such a resource should reside; I am thinking FAQ with a button on the
home page (that looks like a welcome mat??).

What does everyone think??
Does this sound useful, helpful, and important?
Is there anyone else willing to assist?
Anyone prepared to discuss this further?

__Kevin Salm__