 Administrative / General / 4871
Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
However, seeing that LUGNET caches its CGI output, [...]

Wha?!

You've seen CGI-generated pages from www.lugnet.com get *cached*?  That
shouldn't be happening...  Could you provide a sample URL and I'll have a
look through the httpd logs.

well, I don't think that's what Jeremy meant, but lugnet's home page isn't
set to expire immediatly - if you hit back on your browser to return to it,
you get the old version (what you saw when you were there) and not the
current one...

Oh, yes, that kind of caching.  That kind of caching _should_ be happening,
yes.  If that's what Jeremy's seeing, then that's the intended behavior (just
like any other static .html page).

Oops, I snipped too much of what Jeremy wrote when I composed my reply...Here's
his full paragraph...

Jeremy wrote:
However, seeing that LUGNET caches its CGI output, serving many different
formats per page can start to add up.  Would this pose a disk space problem?

My understanding of that was that Jeremy was suggesting that each output
page be written to a static file rather than generated on-the-fly because
he had seen (or perceived) that CGI pages were cached somewhere.  (That would
be big alarm bell.)  The only place that the CGI pages should ever be cached
is in the client browser.

So, to answer Jeremy's question:  The issue of disk space is moot because
CGI output isn't actually cached (not at lugnet.com anyway).  If some other
server downstream (say, a proxy server) is caching it, that's a *MAJOR*
problem which needs to be fixed and is likely to have been broken for many
many moons.

My question, then, is this:  Has anyone ever hit Reload in their web browser
(or flushed their browser's cache and revisited the homepage) and not seen
a new page (assuming ample time has passed)?

--Todd