 Administrative / General / 4750
4749  |  4751
Subject:
RSS output format (was: Re: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 04:54:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Like with channels and RSS and stuff?  (please say yes please say yes)
Any chance that the Spotlight will be exposed in RSS format?

If the Spotlight data were in an easy-to-munge format, it would be pretty
straightforward, ya, but it actually grew up out of a plaintext format.

Here's an example of today's page in its raw form that I edit in a browser
window edit box:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=2000-03-01.ftx

What I've used is, in hindsight, clearly the wrong source format to use for
something so highly structured and parallel as the Spotlight items, but OTOH
the Spotlight feature just sort of sprang into existance in a quick and ad-hoc
sort of way because it was so darn trivially easy to create it that way.

Fortunately, it looks like writing a highly parallel data structure out as RSS
is a lot like writing it out as HTML -- just different tags and different
headers & footers, basically.  I wonder if there'd be a simple way to map any
page of this type into an RSS format by appending .rss on the URL and then
having the code output in RSS instead of HTML, i.e. if

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=2000-03-01.rss

and/or

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=spotlight.rss

generated RSS output on-the-fly, just as the same versions without the trailing
.rss generate HTML output on-the-fly.  It would have to assume a columnar
format the maybe a couple field names.

The better approach, I think -- and I need to do this anyway for the Spotlight
-- is to DB-ify the Spotlight items and use the FTX format only for the tiny
little individual paragraph snippets (typically 100 characters or so).  Then
*that* source format would be *very* easy to spit out as either HTML or RSS
or RTF or just about anything.  I'll need to be doing that for the new more
friendly homepage anyway, so the RSS thing will probably just fall out for
free.  I'll make sure not to close any doors to RSS when revamping the guts.

--Todd