 Administrative / General / 4793
Re: RSS output format (was: Re: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:45:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Rick Kujawa writes:
Huh?  Sounds waaay too complicated for me.  I subscribe to the KISS
principle.  Guess I'd have to see an actual example to see if it would be
useful.  My $0.02

There's a couple reasons that it sounds complicated.  First, even though it'll
be simple on the outside, it's complicated on the inside, and I was describing
the insides more than the outsides.  Second, for stuff like this, it's often
useful to look at things from a "maximum orthogonality" viewpoint.  Doing so
sometimes doubles or triples the overall complexity, but makes ten times as
many things possible while also highlighting clear lines for division of
design elements.  In other words, by taking something simple and special,
and making it more general -- more complicated -- a completely different kind
of solution sometimes arises -- often a solution which solves ten times as
many problems as the original problem, with only twice the complexity, or, if
one is really lucky, with two to four sub-solutions, each of which is one tenth
the complexity.  The irony of added complexity (done properly) is that it's
sometimes actually less work to do more stuff!  :-)

So in the design process, it's important (if you buy into this line of
reasoning) to make things as complex or complicated as possible, and then
simplify from there, where needed, once a good general solution is found.
Many of the solutions then to specific problems turn out to be very simple
to express in terms of the more general solution.

--Todd

Yeah but can you get there from here?  Because remember: no matter where you
go...there you are.  Sounds kinda Zeny.  Excuse the smart ass postclub
response.