 Administrative / General / 4729
Re: Lugnet for beginners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:22:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Salm writes:
Todd, Suz, et al

Lugnet can be rather intimidating, IMO, to newcomers due to its massive size
and scope.  The Pause database aside, the news portion of Lugnet is growing
every day by 400 messages or so and can leave new arrivals here with a sense
of being at a loss as to how and where to begin.
Where does one begin??  Casual lurkers might even be driven away by the
vastness of Lugnet; especially those of a young age.

I agree.  I know I was overwhelmed by RTL back in 1996...and AFAIK, LUGNET
today is much bigger than RTL was in 96.
Although it might make life a little more difficult for seasoned users, I think
a simpler entry page might be beneficial to new users.  Something like this:

Welcome to
[LUGNET Logo]

[*Short* explanation of what LUGNET is]
[Link to more info/newie help]
[Links to newsgroups, and some of the sidebar links from the current entry
page]

You could also include some images and *short* blurbs to entice people to
join in--thumbnails of spectacular creations, excerpts from the most
interesting, most LEGO related threads, etc, etc.
Just my .02,
--Bram