 Administrative / General / 4728
4727  |  4729
Subject:
Thread oopies (was: Re: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:20:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
[...]
But, Todd, why are all your posts creating new threads? This is off-topic yet
it makes it hard to follow the thread... a bug maybe?

d'Oh--Oops!  Thanks for pointing this out!

"Bad programmer, bad programmer!"  A couple weeks ago I wrote a special
newsreader that shows me live[1] streaming news.  If I wanted to reply to
a message, I'd hit 'w' and it would fork off a copy of Netscape Navigator
to display the article as a web page, which I would then click the "Reply"
icon in.  But that's too cumbersome sometimes, so yesterday or the day before,
I added an integrated reply function.  Now when I hit 'f' (for "follow-up",
just like the trn command), it forks off a copy of my text editor in a new
terminal window.

Before launching my text editor, I tell it to create a tempfile with the new
article and its default headers.  But I forgot to tell it to construct the
'References:' header, which is necessary for proper message threading.  Oops!
:*}

--Todd

[1] Well, not quite live -- about a 1-minute latency.