 Administrative / General / 4747
Re: Lugnet for beginners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 04:21:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
One URL:  http://www.lugnet.com/  and per-user preferences on how to display
that page -- kinda like a "My LUGNET" kind of thing.
Like with channels and RSS and stuff?  (please say yes please say yes)
Any chance that the Spotlight will be exposed in RSS format?
Wherefinds one documents on what is RSS?

www.perl.com recently had an article on it:

http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/01/rss.html

Basically, RSS is an XML file served by http which contains channel
information; the RSS client (e.g. slashdot.org, my.netscape.com, my.yahoo.com,
etc.) slurps it and spews out HTML on the end-user's portal page, with some
formatting hints (such as number of articles to show, etc.) provided by the
end-user's preferences.  A testbed for the format can be seen here:

http://www.news.perl.org/my_portal/

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society