 Administrative / General / 4751
Re: RSS output format (was: Re: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 05:00:46 GMT

[...]
What I've used is, in hindsight, clearly the wrong source format to use for
something so highly structured and parallel as the Spotlight items, but OTOH
the Spotlight feature just sort of sprang into existance in a quick and ad-hoc
sort of way because it was so darn trivially easy to create it that way.
[...]

In other words, back when the Spotlight pages were begun, it was very easy
to justify trying that out, because it literally was zero programming to
implement it -- it's just one particular application of the plaintext markup
format I was tinkering with last fall.  Now that the Spotlight has shown[1]
itself to be useful, it's worth doing special things to improve the feature.

--Todd

[1] Wow, was it really 6 months ago today that it started?  Wow, time flies.
184 days of Spotlight -- 1,082 entries!