 Administrative / General / 4874
Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 23:19:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
So, to answer Jeremy's question:  The issue of disk space is moot because
CGI output isn't actually cached (not at lugnet.com anyway).  If some other
server downstream (say, a proxy server) is caching it, that's a *MAJOR*
problem which needs to be fixed and is likely to have been broken for many
many moons.

Okay, I'm confused.  Please see my response at

http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=4869

which refers to a conversation we had last May:

http://www.lugnet.com/faq/?n=269

In particular, I'm confused about "transparent caching", which I understood
to be a function on LUGNET, rather than a proxy or the client.

OH, I see what you mean now.  No, the "transparent caching" (meaning internal
intermedia results only -- not external results) is not a function of the
server.  It could be, and probably someday will be (if it needs to be), but
it isn't that way now.  From the other thread,

  "By 'transparent caching' I mean that the server could (if it sees that it
   would save significant CPU cycles) choose to cache the final HTML output
   pages it creates so that next time they're requested, they can be pulled
   from the cache rather than actually regenerating them.  (Typically, this
   would mean improving the HTTP response time, say, from 1/10 second to 1/100
   second on such pages under a heavy load.)  And this would be transparent to
   the user because the URLs would be identical whether the page is generated
   on-the-fly or pulled from the cache."

In that scenario, perhaps 100 MB (or 1 GB, whatever would be needed) of disk
space would be allocated to an LRU cache.  The only purpose of it would be to
speed up page generation times in a way which would only make a difference to
the server under a very heavy load.  In terms of disk space, it would be an
LRU cache with a maximum upper bound on disk space, so disk space wouldn't be
an issue by definition.  I haven't written this caching function yet because
it's still a long way from being necessary.

--Todd